There was a great turnout at McKinnon Secondary College last night for the level crossings ‘information session’. Many questions were asked by residents. Some of the responses were:

  • Contracts had been finalised – major contractor John Holland
  • Residents fearful of potential damage to their neighbouring properties should contact the authority and have photos taken – ie a ‘before and after’ scenario
  • Palm trees would be removed and then replaced. No comment on the many gums – we assume they will probably be lost
  • Options for sale of ‘commercial’ land – we presume this means VicRail or VicRoads land
  • Whilst roads closed, parking will be available at the Caulfield Racecourse
  • Earth will be dumped at E.E.Gunn Reserve
  • Sheet anchoring will begin first – could be major concerns with water table and flooding

++++++++++

Month-long Frankston line shutdown to come as first of 50 level crossings go

Date: July 30, 2015

Adam Carey

Frankston line commuters can expect more than a month of disruption and slow, crowded bus rides when the rail line is closed in the summer of 2016/17.

The extended shutdown, while three level crossings are removed, is set to be repeated on other lines across Melbourne as the Andrews government races to rid the city of 20 level crossings in this term, and 50 within eight years.

Nine crossings on the line between Caulfield and Dandenong are also due to go in the next four years.

The 34-day shutdown of the busy Frankston line will be hardest felt by those who live and work near the three railway crossings.  Three stations – Bentleigh, Ormond and McKinnon – will be demolished from November 2016, a few weeks before the line is closed, meaning commuters who use them will have to head to another station to catch a train. It is expected the stations will be out of action for about three months before they reopen by the end of February 2017.

The planned 34-day closure of the busy line will be preceded by a one-week shutdown mid-next year for early works.

Details of the project were revealed at a community meeting in McKinnon in Melbourne’s south-east on Wednesday night. The meeting was attended by hundreds of people.

Among them was Daniel Bowen, a spokesman for the Public Transport Users Association, who said the Level Crossing Removal Authority would have to take care to get the planning right and minimise disruption.

“They’re going to need to make sure they plan it well to ensure there are no nasty surprises that result in closures being longer than necessary,” Mr Bowen said.

“People can see the benefit of these projects but clearly how they handle the disruption for train users, bus users and motorists is the key in ensuring that it’s a success.”

The first three Frankston line level crossings set to go are at North Road, McKinnon Road and Centre Road. The crossing at Burke Road, Glen Iris, on the Glen Waverley line will be removed as part of the same package of works.

Mr Bowen has published other details about the project on his blog.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/monthlong-frankston-line-shutdown-to-come-as-first-of-50-level-crossings-go-20150730-ginlew.html#ixzz3hL3v7Wfa

 

 

 

Advertisements